Friday, December 18, 2015

Though the Path be Rough and Rugged...

This past week has been full of many things...from making marshmallows and sitting around bonfires with friends, to shoveling compost and playing in a muddy creek with six jolly children! The thing freshest on my mind, though, is the brevity of life and the sovereignty of God.

When a friend dies suddenly who it seems has just begun something great with "all of life" ahead of them, it gives one pause.  Is it just? Is it right? Is it kind? Is it good? This is a blessing?  .... What?

A "coincidence" (which I don't believe in) happened the other day when my friend sent me this quote:
"I will not be hurried because I love you. I know what I'm doing. And if you try to impose your understanding of schedule and timing on Me, you will struggle to feel loved by Me."
 Perhaps I do not understand, I cannot see how such a thing could be the best thing, for anyone involved. Yet, as God said to Job, "Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge? Gird up now your loins like a man; for I will demand of you, and you answer Me. Where were you when..." (Job 38:2-3). He knows the way that I am going. Even when I don't understand, I don't see His plan; when I can't trace His hand: will I trust His heart? He says:
"..Fear not: for I have redeemed you, I have called you by your name; you are Mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they will not overflow you: when you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; neither will the flame kindle upon you. For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior:..." (Isaiah 43:1-3).
Before the foundations of the world, He ordained a plan for each of us, and His plan is the very best. I can almost guarantee that it won't be easy, or a smooth road, but it will be a good road because you and I will be walking hand in hand with the One who made the road and planned the route!


God said to Moses:
"My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest." (Exodus 33:14).
He promises to be with each one of us for always as well. He is our rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment